Homemade Halloween No. 3: The Perfect Wife & Mother

The thing about Halloween that makes it so fun is that it’s the one day to be something you’re not. So here I am in 2005 as the perfect wife and mother.

I’m one of those few parents who dresses up for my kids Halloween parade at school. That year I wore a 50s wig, cat eye glasses, red lipstick and a dress, apron and pumps, pearls and a brooch that reads Mother from the local thrift stores. I made fake cookies with a simple salt dough recipe and painted them to look like chocolate chip cookies (to avoid being eaten.) The glass is full of tub & tile caulking to simulate milk. (The glass of milk/caulk takes a few days to soft set. Every kid at school wanted to touch the milk and one stuck her finger right down in it. Now I have a hole in my milk. Ha!)

This was definitely a fun costume to wear! No one knew who’s mom I really was. Not even my kids at first!

21 Responses to Homemade Halloween No. 3: The Perfect Wife & Mother

1. #1 - Crazy Times Candle & Bath Co. says:

love this I try to dress up with my kids on Halloween They just love to have a goofy mom like that. I bet that this made your kids day.

2. #2 - Crazy Times Candle & Bath Co. says:

3. #3 - w says:

that costume rocks!

4. #4 - Oh2122 says:

This is hysterical!

All I can think of is my sister saying, “Well the last time I cleaned the house, I put on my pearls…”

5. #5 - autumn says:

That’s hilarious. What a great idea, simple yet funny. I love it.

6. #6 - THE ORDINARY HOUSEWIFE says:

HA!! I love it!!!

7. #7 - Anonymous says:

You are so darn cute Mrs. Cleaver!
    Caryn

8. #8 - MizSmoochieLips says:

Omgosh, that’s FABULOUS!!!!! Now I know what to be for Halloween =]

9. #9 - Tricia says:

Your heels are much more practical than Mrs. Cleaver’s 😉 I could never figure out who would wear those things around the house!

10. #10 - Tania Wood says:

Cathe, you are so cute. I love this costume, I love it even more that you wore it to school and no one recognized you. You are too fun!!!
    I went as Pippi Longstocking last year. I will post my pippi costume on my blog tonight.

11. #11 - Autumn says:

how fun!! What a great idea!!

12. #12 - Nancy says:

One Halloween – I broke out one of my front side teeth – perfect beginning of my witchy costume! Loved your perfect Mom.

13. #13 - gina says:

Whata funny costume! So creative.

14. #14 - Julie Bouésso says:

May I say H-I-L-A-R-I-O-U-S?! I wonder if any other mother was offended? Cause believe me, they are out there looking like this, yes! Really! LOL! Cheers, Julie

15. #15 - TidyMom says:

Oh Cathe this is TOO funny! and GREAT!!! – it gives me an idea – the girls Heather works with at the Salon all dress up for halloween each year in a theme – I think I'm going to suggest something like this!
    Where did you get everything you wore?

your posts always make me *smile*
    ~TidyMom

16. #16 - Stephanie says:

You are such a fun mom! I love that you dress up…and I bet all of the kids think you are the coolest. 🙂

stephanie@metropolitanmama.net

17. #17 - WrenS0ng4 says:

Just read about the kid who had to put a finger in your milk and made a hole. I read thru all the comments and can't believe no one has exclaimed: It must be HOLE MILK!! Ha!

18. #18 - Shara Stacks says:

I went as a GOT MILK ad one year – I painted the inside of my glass white and it looked very real. It was such an easy costume – my usual clothes and a “milk moustache” made from face cream. Love your Perfect Mom costume!

19. #19 - Kathy F. says:

I love your costume and the cookies and milk are so creative! Many years ago, I dressed up as a busy working mom for Halloween. I wore a business suit and running shoes, had a backpack on my back with a doll in it (to represent my baby), and carried my briefcase with a toilet brush and a tennis racket sticking out of the top. The costume was a hit with the moms at the party I attended. Interestingly, a lot of the men had to ask me what I was dressed up as!! Love your blog, Cathe!

20. I’m glad to see that someone’s “perfect” here in blog world, cuz I sure ain’t! LOL!

21. #21 - Vikki Selix says:

That’s hilarious! Did you pretend to throw the mil at anyone? I know I’d be one to duck for sure! You rock the house wife look!!