Fun Times at the 2010 Maker Faire Bay Area!

We’re back from the Maker Faire, took Sunday to recoup and wanted to share just how awesome my experience was. My husband took an entire shift off work (the first since his promotion,) two kids bailed on scheduled baseball games and we packed up and headed to San Mateo, California. Ok, it’s only about 1.5 hours away, but we got a 4-star hotel for only $64 thanks to Priceline.com, the San Mateo Marriott. They were extremely accommodating and kind, considering we were the ultimate budget travelers pulling in at 10pm.

Out the door Saturday morning, I met Matt Wilburn, Chief Marketing Officer at Provo Craft and his two very nice young sons, Josh & Ryan, on the elevator on their way to the Maker Faire to demo their Yudu screen printing machines. There were totes to print on and I brought along some extra T-shirts for my kids to print! Thanks Matt & Co!

The Maker Faire was mind-blowing. It’s so great with my kids at this age, they could go off and discover things on their own. Two of my kids crafted handmade rockets and got to shoot them off. Sarah checked out lots of the hands-on craft demos and came away with some really fun stuff.

I hung pretty close to the crafty side of the Maker Faire. Here’s just a few highlights of my day:

• I met the dynamic Sarah Hodsdon, who somehow found time to sit with me and inspired me to new levels!
• Watched Mark Montano film his latest Yudu promotion.• Shopped Bazzar Bizarre and bought several rolls of cool Washi tapes from Tinted Mint.
• Bought an edgy skull head DIY-or-DIE T-shirt from the guys at Stuffed Misfits. How precious are their inside-out stuffed animals? As we were leaving the Faire, I saw a little boy clinging to his new misfit bunny. Too cute.• Visited with Kelsey Cooper of Kelso Doesnt Dance and drooled like an idiot over her handmade felt library cabinet display. How excellent is that thing?!• I snagged up two beginner LED sewing kits from Aniomagic.
• Spun the wheel to win a free T-shirt from the three super-nice Blick Art Materials Guys!• Had a wonderful long discussion with Catherine Steen of Quayside Publishing (Quarry Books).
• Met awesome Stefanie Girard, author of Sweater Surgery.
• Spent some quality time with Carolee Gilligan Wheeler of superdilettante, author of Good Mail Day. She is sending me a copy of her spectacular book and I can hardly wait to share it with you!• Met the very hip Lish Dorset of HandmadeDetroit.com and My Vintage Kitschen.
• Introduced myself to Michael Wood of tinymeat who I’d just seen days before in THIS excellent video. My daughter showed me later that she had bought a TinyMeat purple FIETS wallet! She LOVES it!
• Checked out this innovative new Oliso Smart Iron demonstrated by Marketing Director, Janice Lee. You have to see the demo for yourself, HERE.• Ate delicious greasy county-fair food including, get this, a large paper cone filled with tiny, warm, glazed donuts. Uh huh. (Joining Weight Watchers this week, btw.)
• Thoroughly enjoyed working with CRAFT’s Editor-In-Chief, Natalie Zee Drieu who also writes the fashion blog Coquette. She set me up for my big demo debut, complete with face mic and craft cam! (Demo photos by Mr. Wonderful.)• One of the best parts of my experience was finally meeting my online friend from Austin, Texas, Rachel Hobson, aka: Average Jane Crafter, contributing writer for CRAFT. Rachel’s the one who encouraged me to go to the Maker Faire in the first place! Thank you SO much Rachel, I miss you already!I enjoyed this event so much, especially that it had something, many things, wonderful for everyone in my family. To request to be added to the mailing list for information and upcoming Maker Faire events, contact them at: Info@makerfaire.com or go to the Maker Faire website HERE.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Fun Times at the 2010 Maker Faire Bay Area!

1. #1 - ROLLERWRITER says:

Every day I read something cool from a blogger on the west coast. There seems to be a vibe going out there. If you ever need a source for tons of free vintage books…
    Looks like your demo went very well. Congrats!

2. #2 - nicole says:

so nice to see you this weekend! I loved your demo and can't wait to make some of my own vintage book covers.

see you soon lady!

3. #3 - Createology says:

Looks like a fabulous family event and super creative peeps all sharing their talents. Congrats on your excellent tutorial. Happy creating…

4. #4 - Shel at Dreamy Nest says:

Aahhh – I'm so jealous! Looks like you had a FABULOUS time. How come nothing like that ever happens around me?!
    Congrats on your demo! 🙂 You rock!

5. #5 - Diane@InMyOwnStyle says:

Hi Cathe-
    What a fabulous event to be able to attend. I just loved your post and kept re-reading everything. Thanks I almost feel as if I was there – the creative inspiration was coming right out of my computer screen. The picture of you on your blog doesn't do you justice. You look so adorable in your candid photos 🙂
    Diane

6. #6 - Laura PARING DOWN says:

YUM! I got sidetracked by the doughnut cone!!!

🙂 Laura

7. #7 - Kathryn says:

Oh Cathe!!! First, in awe that the kids wanted to go! Second, some of the slide show looked more like a science fair (gone weird) HA! But mostly what a wonderful, wonderful experience to get to met all those creative, crafty geniuses! How lucky you are! I'm a huge fan of yours (aw shucks!) Thanks for the insight and pics!
    kat

8. #8 - studiodax says:

I'm so sorry I didn't get to visit you at the Faire – my "table time" overlapped your demo! But the photos look fabulous, and your projects (and tutorials) are always so great… they make me feel that I can do these things myself!

9. #9 - TidyMom says:

Looks AMAZING!! and you guys look BEAUTIFUL!!!

10. #10 - Landfill Hill says:

A conversation with Quayside?!!!! Yipppeeeee!! Could there be a JSIM book in the making? Please say yes!!

jenn moore

11. #11 - Average Jane Crafter says:

What a wonderful wrap-up of the Faire, Cathe! It was such a treat to meet you and an honor to have you demo your fantastic vintage book cover planners at the CRAFT booth. Your attention to detail, clear instructions and obvious thorough preparation made for a most awesome demo. Thank you for taking the time to come down and for making so many sacrifices with your family to be there. We were so lucky to have you there to share with the Maker Faire audience.

Your family was so sweet and fun – I hope they had a great time! (sounds like they did) Hope I'll see you there again next year!

And, yes, I'm missing you like crazy as well. Wish we could hang out all the time!

XOXO
    Rach

12. #12 - CraftCrave says:

Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave today [25 May 02:00pm GMT]. Thanks, Maria

13. #13 - jo_annie says:

Looks like so much FUN! I'm so jealous!!! Great photos!

14. #14 - Darlene says:

I'm so jealous!!! Why do all the cool events happen on the West coast? Will they ever do a Faire on the East coast?

15. #15 - Heather says:

Wow that IS a really cool iron! I want one…

16. #16 - Jill says:

What a day! It sound just great!

17. #17 - Insolvency advice says:

That sounds excitingly great. You look like you had so much fun. That was a wonderful experience especially to the kids.

18. #18 - kristianne25 says:

How cool I wish they had things like this where I live:)

19. #19 - Mrs. Shinn says:

As a working librarian sadly saying goodbye to some old book friends, I was delighted to see your demo books. I especially loved the Little Red Book/Calendar Planner. Just the thing to hold on to the old while embracing the future. Thanks for the tutorial!

20. #20 - My Life Under the Bus says:

You totally rock the microphone look! I too think all the good stuff goes on on the West Coast ! Looks totally awesome !!! …and yes I am jealous : )