Praise You In This Storm

Most of us have faced tragedy. Some more than others. Some have yet to, but likely will in their lifetime. Sometimes I feel as though I have experienced more than my share. Loss, being the primary pain I have suffered through many times over, and continue to cope with daily. The other day I was interviewed for a lovely blog, which posted today. The last question of the interview stopped me in my tracks. I was asked if there was anything else I would like readers to know about me. Hmmm, I thought, here’s my chance, an opportunity to say something hopefully profound. A chance I don’t take often enough, after all, most of you come here for crafty inspiration, not personal or spiritual encouragement. But this week especially, I feel more than compelled to share with you the blessings I have found through personal suffering, so I hope you’ll indulge me this once.

I answered the interview question with this: I think it’s important to acknowledge that it’s by God’s amazing grace that I am able to create the things I do. It’s been an extremely difficult few years for me and crafting & blogging helps me move through tragedy. Having opportunities to share my gifts with others is a blessing of comfort in itself.

If you’ve been a long time follower of my blog you may know that I have had a challenging few years, as on few occasions I have mentioned a thing or two about my life. My sadness began 16 years ago upon the stillbirth of our daughter, Grace. Though I suffered extremely dark months, even years, I was ultimately blessed with 3 amazing and healthy children. Though they are all teenagers right now, I absolutely adore being their mother.

Seven years ago, my beloved, oldest sister died suddenly, to her addictions, at age 40 in Arkansas. Her youngest child, Sarah, was only 5 at the time so Jeff and I welcomed her into our family and adopted her as our own. She is now a beautiful and wonderful 13 year old young lady.

A few years later, my oldest brother also died suddenly of heart failure at his home in Michigan. Then last Thanksgiving, my other brother took his own life in Colorado. It wasn’t until my only surviving sibling, my sister Jennifer, and I came together to make arrangements for him that we ever got to know our young niece, his only child, Ashley.

Last Monday Jeff and I flew Ashley, now 14, to California to visit our family for a week and to meet her 3 cousins. Here’s the problem… we never want to send her home. We’ve grown to love and adore her and I thank God for blessing us with this precious new relationship. (Her visit is primarily why you may have noticed I’ve been slow to post on my blog this week.)

To simply sum it up, I just wanted to encourage those who have faced a loss of any kind, whether a life, a job, an opportunity, a relationship, to look hard every single day for the blessings that God is laying before you, even in death and sorrow. Know that He holds every tear you cry. As time passes, you may be able to see His blessings a bit more clear as they pile up beautifully around you. I can’t change any tragic thing that has happened in my lifetime but I continue to look ahead toward the amazing grace God has laid out in the mysterious path of my life.Here is a video of one of my favorite songs being sung, I hope you’ll listen carefully to these beautiful words of hope by Casting Crowns, Praise You In This Storm.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

144 Responses to Praise You In This Storm

1. #1 - agravette says:

You are so precious to share and I, too, love that song. It has reminded me so many times that God truly does hold us whenver life goes crazy and that He deserves our worship and praise, no matter what our circumstances are. Your family is really blessed to have you. God bless you!

2. #2 - Leslie says:

Wow, Cathe . . . I've admired you for quite some time for your talent and creativity — and now I admire you even more for your faith and grace and strength. In my own struggles, I, too have come to realize that God has a way of lighting the path, especially when life is at its darkest. Praise Him for providing us all with blessings to carry us through. And God bless you for opening your heart and home to your nieces — giving those girls an immeasurable gift! ((Hugs!))

3. #3 - Laura @ Ms Smartie Pants says:

It is so wonderful for you to share, for us and for you! Bless you and your family!

4. #4 - Annalea says:

Thank you. Just . . . thank you.

5. #5 - Connie says:

Beautifully, BEAUTIFULLY said, sugar! I agree with you. I thank Him every single day for my blessings.
    xoxo,
    Connie

6. #6 - Elisabeth says:

Thank you for sharing your incredible story!

7. #7 - Coloradolady says:

What a great post…thank you.

8. #8 - Angela says:

I'm so sorry for all the sorrow you have had to deal with. I am glad to know that you have a personal relationship with our loving God. Thank you for sharing this part of yourself. I love reading your blog for your creative ideas, but now I feel closer to you. You have truly learned to dance in the rain. Blessings!

9. #9 - TheChanceys505 says:

God works in such mysterious ways! Today was an especially tough day for me and reading this on your blog today was such an encouragement! Thank you so much!

10. #10 - Tania Wood says:

You are a lovely person Cathe! You are truly someone special to me:) Thanks for sharing this post.

11. #11 - susanc says:

Thank you for sharing this. My family is going through a hard time right now, but reading your post helps me to realize that God's grace is always with us.

12. #12 - Jeannette says:

Thinking of you

13. #13 - Mollie. says:

Thank you for being a comfort, a blessing, a reminder. Thank you for being willing to be used by God in this way.

14. #14 - Gail says:

What a lovely post, thanks for sharing your personal stuff. I think people do appreciate hearing about these things and can relate it to their own lives…makes us all a bit more "human" and closer to each other.

15. #15 - My Journey to Hope says:

Cathe, I've always admired your artistic abilities, and your emphasis on family. But I admire you even more by sharing the vulnerability and pain you've endured, and especially by offering hope in God to others. You are a treasure and a light in the darkness. Thank you!

🙂 Michelle

16. #16 - 32˙North says:

Cathe, Of all my questions, your answer to the last one was my favorite. Thanks again! Amanda

17. #17 - Anonymous says:

Oh, yes! I knew there was something soulful about you. I lost my son to suicide 15 years ago when he was 22. I beat myself up for 5 years with alcohol then got sober b God's grace. In 2009 I lost 4 family members including my beloved Dad and was laid off from my job. But I didn't drink. I felt the pain and got through it and with the some money my Dad left me I bought a new sewing machine and got back to what I love. I, too, have 3 other children, grown and far away but I am so blessed.

18. #18 - Tricia says:

Cathe…you are such a wonderful, postive person, especially when you have been through so much. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and your gifts with us. God bless you 🙂

19. #19 - Melissa | Madabella: made beautiful says:

I don't think I've ever commented…but I have followed for awhile… I was touched by your story…I just lost my dad, but I can't imagine all the loss you've endured, but I know He carries us through the storm and after the rain, God sets a rainbow in the sky, we just have to look up to see it.

To Him who is able to do exceedingly, abundantly, above all that we can ask or imagine…

20. #20 - Tamara says:

Cathe,

I believe God gave you the gifts He gave you for such a time as this. He opened a door for you to make His name famous, and you did. Not only that, but you've offered hope to nieces who needed to see it. I've often been blessed by your tender words of faith, as well as your endless creativity (a child of the Creator!), but this post was such a tremendous encouragement. Thank you!

21. #21 - Elizabeth says:

What a beautiful post – I have shared my feelings about losing my mom this year on my blog and it has helped me and others have told me they were comforted. We all have our trials and it always helps to know there are others out there struggling with us. You show us that we can keep moving ahead, that there is still beauty to be found. xo

22. #22 - dominique eichi says:

Bravo for the courage you display in sharing and in showing that God is Alive !
    Bless you

23. #23 - Anonymous says:

I've admired your art for so long. Thank you so much for sharing your personal life. God bless you! God is good.

24. #24 - Cap Creations says:

Hi Cathe. Thank you for this post. And for the gentle reminder of His love. I actually know that song and it reminds me that God always has a plan and that His plan will be revealed in His timing. Until then we must use the waiting period to seek him and grow closer to him. He is our shelter!
    Cathy

25. #25 - Miss Marple says:

Thank you for these wonderfull words!

26. #26 - Kate says:

Exactly what I needed to hear today..thank you so much for sharing such comforting words.

I clicked on Google reader, then was called away for awhile…thinking about present difficulties and feeling discouraged, sat back down at the computer and there was your post.

Thanks for letting your light shine today…it lit up the dark corners of my world.

27. #27 - Wonder Mom says:

your post is so touching! God has a plan for all of us, we may not understand it sometimes, but have faith for God is good, always. He will give you want and desire, in his time!

28. #28 - Marita says:

I am in tears..
    You are a gift from Him to me..
    one day in the middle of the day under the sun,i was walking in darkness..things were bigger than me hard to cope with..walked by the church and said Thank you God for all that I have.And than It stroke me..
    God doesn't want to hear Thank you. He wants to See your happiness for all that you have.And that is a distinctive difference.I realized that I had to become a warrior of joy, inside.
    Its not easy to see beauty or his gifts when in pain,but its what saves us and change us..
    Thank you Cath for this post..
    With all my love..
    Marita

29. #29 - wilmi says:

30. #30 - Anonymous says:

Dear Cathe,Discovering you (only a few weeks ago!) and your wonderful creative spirit has been an inspiration. I just want to give you a big hug after reading about your family. Sonoma county is my home too. The Legacy in Sebastopol is one of my favorite places. So much so that I became a volunteer. Please come in to the shop for some crafting therapy and love. Ask for Louise B. I would love to meet you. sincerely Louise P. S. as of this week I am in charge of the buttons!! so come in and lets find you something very special.

31. #31 - gewoon gezellig says:

so much tragedy, and so much positivity, i have lots of respect for you! Love to hear you adore all the children in your life!
    Keep on making beautifull things, that inspire so much people!

sorry for my bad english, hope you understand 😉
    Big hug from me, somebody from holland..and i'll hope you will keep on seeing the good things in life 😉

xx Hilde

32. #32 - Sharon says:

You are an inspiration. God bless you.

33. #33 - Lorna/Live Oak Primitive Peddler says:

Cathe, I am touched beyond words. It is always such a blessing to hear of another's faith and dependence on God. Thank you so much for sharing, my heart is blessed and I thank God for you!!
    Blessings,
    Lorna

34. #34 - LindaSonia says:

Wow Cathe… thanks for sharing your story and for sharing your faith. You are a blessing to us. I thank God daily for His mercies new everyday and I thank Him for all His blessings and that includes you! LindaSonia

35. #35 - Jennifer says:

I absolutely love that song! And am so encouraged that you've shared this. I think blogs are a wonderful medium to share our testimony and have others really see how He's worked in our lives. Another song that's really helped me through tough times is "Blessed Be Your Name", where the chorus always reminds me that He is good, all the time 🙂

36. #36 - Faye says:

Oh Cathe you just dont know how I needed to read your words of inspiration today.Though you more than likely do not read my blog, if you did, you would know this has been my week of sadness and letting go. I know I will get through it, although it will be the challenge of my life to be strong. Thank you so much for sharing and touching many of us with your personal outpouring. Faye carolinastitcher.blogspot.com

37. #37 - Preserve Jewelry Studio says:

Beautiful and courageous post. Thank you for sharing.

38. #38 - Peggy Houston, TX says:

Thanks for sharing your heart. That is what we all need most. I've traveled a similar journey, losing siblings and taking in their children. They are blessed to have you.

39. #39 - Peggy Houston, TX says:

40. #40 - debianne says:

God is always at work even when we're not looking! I love this verse as a reminder that God has prepared the way …"See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland" (Isa. 43:19).
    I'm praying for you and your family as you heal and for God's blessing on you and your sister as you share love and "family" with your niece.

41. #41 - Shelly says:

"I know God won't give me more than I can handle, I just wish he didn't have so much faith in me!"

One thing I've learned in my 53 years is that adveristy does give us strength. I think it also gives us character and appreciation for what TRULY matters in this life.

And, as you are doing, giving of yourself to others lessens grief.
    I've been there.

Thank you for sharing! Have a great weekend!

Hugs,
    Shell

(I'm having a giveaway if you want to pop over,,,)

42. #42 - Paul Overton says:

Cathe – You're one of a kind. What a courageous and heartbreakingly honest post. Thanks

43. #43 - Dawn says:

Thank you for sharing your heart. I love the creative things you share and I love how you intersperse yourself throughout your posts. Thanks for being a bold witness about your faith.

44. #44 - NanE says:

Thank you Kathe, you have blessed me with your words this morning. Have a wonderful weekend, Nan

45. #45 - kpaints says:

Thanks so much for opening the window to your soul, what a beautiful place! We all have difficulties and sorrows but you have had more than your share. God is good, and it is so wonderful that you have these children in your lives. Thanks for sharing.

46. #46 - Kristen says:

This was beautiful. Thank you, Cathe, for being so open and honest and for sharing in all of the ways that you do.

47. #47 - Molly says:

Thank you so much for sharing this. Isn't it funny that God sends messages to us when we most need them…even if it is in a blog post. You have lifted my spirits and let me realize again I can get through anything with the grace of God. Thank you.

48. #48 - Jill says:

Amen–and, Thank you.

49. #49 - My Life Under the Bus says:

Creativity touchs our lives in all sorts of ways. There is a creativity to handling lifes challenges with grace and strentgh and you have obviously been blessed with this.It is also a gift to let someone going through a difficult time know there is peace out there! Much Love and Hugs your way, Patty

50. #50 - InMyOwnStyle says:

Hi Cathe-

What a poignant post. Thank- you for your uplifting words. I have not suffered the loss in my life the way you have, but am currently dealing with my husband's 16 months of unemployment. Stressful/life changing in a different way. I just keep plugging along with a smile and know that somehow will get past it and will have grown from our experience.
    M best- Diane

51. #51 - Trish says:

this post made me love you even more! thanks for sharing and your thoughts and feelings.

52. #52 - Susan Parnell says:

Cathe, this is the 2nd time I have looked @ your blog; thank you for sharing your story! It is through God's grace & forgiveness that you shine, ultimately giving Him the glory. You & your family are in my prayers. Blessings, Susan

53. #53 - Cheree says:

Cathe, thank you for sharing. President Spencer W. Kimball, a former president of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints said, "God does notice us, and he watches over us. But it is usually through another person that he meets our needs." You've met the needs of many, including myself, by sharing your story and your talents. Thank you for your example of faith and strength.

54. #54 - dtarca says:

Thanks Cathe

55. #55 - Magali Larriven Design says:

Thank you for sharing this. The hard times make us realise what is very important in life: familly.

56. #56 - KarenB says:

We just never know when God will provide an opportunity for us to share about his goodness. Thanks for going with the moment and sharing from your heart. Just think of the people who've read this and not commented. I'm sure there are many who needed to hear this today. Melissa quoted part of my favorite verse: Ephesians 3:20. Great verse!

God bless!
    Karen

57. #57 - acvollers says:

A lovely post. I'm new to your blog, and I normally don't read blogs on the weekend, but I feel like I must have been led to read your post today. My husband and I lost one of our twin boys a few months ago – he lived for six days. "Praise You in This Storm" was on repeat in my car during the weeks afterward.
    Every word you said in your post is absolutely true, particularly your last few sentences. I feel blessed to have been reminded of that today. Thank you.

58. #58 - Modern Gypsies says:

Well said. As a military wife who has sent her husband to war many times and lost too many friends along the way. I also felt that I suffered more than I should have sometimes. Praise you in this Storm is one of my all time favorite song about that topic along with Blessed be your name and Cry to Jesus.
    Thanks for sharing!

59. #59 - Becky Brocato says:

Cathe, you are such a brave and wondrous person. You always have such a beautiful gift to share with your friends here in the virtual world. The Lord has blessed you with a gentle and generous spirit, and I pray that he heals and strengthens your wounded heart.

60. #60 - The Charm House says:

You blessed me today!

61. #61 - Sandy says:

Cathe,
    Thank you for these words and this song….I have had a special blessing today in this post!

62. #62 - Heidi says:

Thank you so much for sharing your life. Hearing about other people's suffering helps others realize that they are not alone in their suffering and sometimes even realize that their problems could be even worse. I have seen the this positive support come through the blogs when hard times are shared and it is a very good thing. You are a true inspiration and a hero. You are so right about looking for the positives because that pertains to everything in life. Find the positives and not focus on the negatives. It sounds like you have a house full of little girls and you all craft all of the time. Making precious memories for these little girls that will last a life time. Keep doing what your doing, Sister, you light shines brighter than you know. Heidi

63. #63 - Catch A Falling Star says:

Theres really not much I could add that others haven't already said. I will say this however, the last 4-5 years have been rough but these recent 2 have been especially hard. Keeping my chin up and keeping my focus on God has been the only thing that motivated me.God has always blessed me then, but now he is pouring them over me and I thank him a hundred times a day.
    How great is our God!
    Thank you for this post!!

64. #64 - Liberty Belle says:

I'd love to read the rest of your interview – where can I find it?

65. #65 - oh amanda {impress your kids} says:

Thank you for this beautiful personal post! I have chills.

66. #66 - judi says:

thank you for sharing, as it is through personal suffering that God uses us to help others. we have no idea (at the time) how such tragedy can possibly be "helpful" to another but it is through this that we can reach out (afterwards)and comfort another.
    i found a quote that i have on my blog, "life is not about waiting for the storms to pass, its about learning to dance in the rain." as i grumble that "this" or "this" shouldn't be happening…i am reminded that i have a choice. God know what is best for me and has a purpose for allowing difficulties into my life.

again, thanks for the reminder.
    judi 😉

67. #67 - Alicia says:

Thank so much for sharing that! I too always turn to that song when the storms of life are roaring. We can all use a reminder that we should always turn to our Heavenly Father and only He will get us through. God Bless you and your family!

68. #68 - Heather says:

I'm so sorry you've suffered so much loss. Thank you for your touching post, and for calling upon God for strength is inspirational.

I have had the opposite experience in life – I have suffered very little loss (if any). Only the death of elderly grandparents and that is all. But I'm only 26 and I have SO MUCH to lose – I often find myself bracing myself, wondering when it will hit. When will the loss & suffering finally come to my life because surely I've been too lucky already?

But I guess that's no way to live, in a constant state of dread. :-/

I wish you peace and love from here on out.

69. #69 - Linda K. says:

Cathe,
    A simply wonderful post and I am blessed to be able to read it and glean. Thank you, Cathe for sharing yourself, your heartache, and your strength. Through your talents here we can all see that you are a woman of depth. I can only think of one verse for you that comes to my mind. "May the Lord bless and keep you." Numbers 6:24

Blessings,
    Linda

70. #70 - Cathe Holden says:

Thank you everyone. I am overwhelmed by your thoughtful comments and support. You never know what to expect when you open up like this in a blog post, but you have all shown me that it was worth every word and chance taken.

Liberty Belle, to answer your question, you can click on the link in the text of the interview mention or simply click here to read it: http://32degreesn.blogspot.com/2010/08/meet-cathe-holden.html Thanks for asking.

71. #71 - Linda in New Mexico says:

Cathe: I have always held you as a role model as far as "arting" goes and now I must add you to my role models for living. Thank you for sharing your personal story. You are as Gen 12:12 says…..blessed to be a blessing. Sometimes we do not see our suffering as a balm for others but the sharing of your pain will do just that. Thanks. Linda, The Olde Bagg

72. #72 - Anonymous says:

I don't normally leave comments on blogs, but I fairly recently discovered yours and it's time to say thank you for all the great inspirations and ideas that you share, and now also for sharing your story. That song was also a comfort to me during a scary, dark period involving our daughter, I'm sure others not familiar with it will appreciate you for introducing it to them in additon to opening your heart – I appreciate you!

73. #73 - Christie Cottage says:

The title of your post today is similar to a print availablein my shop. The Storm of Life.

I too have had tragedy as you and I have discussed in personal emails.

In my painting, I can see the pain even though it was painted many years after my husband was gone. A family friend saw it and told my Mom, she still hurts. My MOm said, I know. It's in every brush stroke.

God got me thru my husband's suicide and he's been pulling me up ever since to!

God is wonderful!

Have ablessed weekend!

<><

74. #74 - Halo Hill says:

Thank you, Cathe.

Hugs,
    Sheila

75. #75 - Anonymous says:

Thank you.

76. #76 - Country Dreaming says:

Very well said.
    Loss of any type is hard so very hard to deal with. AND we all deal with it in our own way.
    I'm sorry to hear about all of your losses but I think it's good to talk about and share with others so they may gain new insight into what they are dealing with.
    THANK YOU FOR SHARING!!

Melinda

77. #77 - Vane says:

Thanks so much for sharing your life with us and such a beautiful song.

78. #78 - EmandaJ says:

This past year has been very hard for me being suddenly unemployed and just a couple of weeks ago we had a tragedy in our family when my brother-in-law and his 16 year old daughter were killed in an auto accident.

In my unempolyment I have discovered my strengths and God-given gifts. And in the horrible car accident, I find peace in the fact that my niece was an organ donor and has save more than 9 lives with her selfless gift.

I know that we will never (ever!) 'get over' these losses and the pain, but we WILL get through them with God's help.

May God's peace be ever with you,
    Emanda

79. #79 - Pfeiffer Photos says:

Just look at all the comments for this post, Cathe! You need to share like this more often; risk can be oh, so GOOD. Casting Crowns are good, too, but He is GREAT above all. oxo

80. #80 - suesueb says:

Very beautiful and moving post-God bless.

81. #81 - Emmy says:

Thank you for sharing this… I love this song as well for probably somewhat similar reasons. But thanks most of all for pointing back to God and giving Him the glory in it… love your gorgeous blog by the way 🙂

82. #82 - Monica says:

love this. thank you.

83. #83 - Gayle says:

Thank you, Cathe. Those of us who have lost a precious loved one to suicide share a deep and painful bond. We can only trust that God in his wisdom has a plan for each of us. It is sometimes through the darkest of days that we reach toward His Light. Thank you for the joy you bring through your creative spirit and may God bless you and your family.

84. #84 - Karen says:

Cathe~
    Thank you for sharing, I was meant to read this after finding out my husband has been removed from the kidney transplant list. It is a real time of sorrow for me and my family and I needed your words tonight. You have been a real blessing to me. I find your faith and strength so inspiring. Big Hugs

85. #85 - Jana says:

You are an amazing woman. I am so glad to hear that your home and heart are so filled with blessings. Thank you for sharing this with us. Sending you hugs.

86. #86 - HA! Designs says:

You are a blessing…to so many…thank you for sharing all that you do…

87. #87 - Tippy Stockton says:

Cathe –

I too have had my share of sadness and sorrow in my life. From losing a loved one on 9/11 to losing both my parents within months of each other, I am where I am today because of this journey. Things happen for a reason, and I know now that this is the path God has paved for me. Your words were so eloquent and I am thankful that God gave you the courage to share your story. Keep doing what you're doing. I love your blog, and I'm so blessed to have found you in blog land. Blessings to you and your family.

Patricia @ Tippy Stockton Jewelry

88. #88 - Sara says:

This was so beautiful. I don't know you but I have always admired your amazing creativity. Now I admire your resiliance and courage, knowing more of what has happened in your life and family. Thank you for sharing with us. We all need to acknowledge God a bit more publicly, in my opinion, so thank you for putting that out there.

89. #89 - TidyMom says:

You KNOW how much I wish I could be there with you…to hug you, laugh with you and cry with you! …..Cathe I am SO SO glad you are a part of my life, and your friendship mean SOOO much to me! You are such a sweet generous soul….it makes my heart ache when I know you are hurting.

You are such a blessing to those girls….I just knew this was going to be a fabulous week for you guys!!!

I admire you…and love you!!!

90. #90 - Myrna says:

Thank you for sharing so eloquently. I relate to you on many levels and bottom line, it truly is THE LORD that gets us through it all. "Praise You in The Storm" is one of my favorite songs, and I needed to be reminded thru that song as I'm going thru my personal desert to 'Yet I will praise You.'. Thanks for the reminder, Cathe. Thanks for being transparent..thank you allowing God to use you in remarkable ways!

Blessings and Hugs,
    Myrna

91. #91 - Anonymous says:

I am so happy that i got to spend a week with your family. Its nice to know what my dads family is like, since i don't have much of a relationship with his side. I am so glad that i have family like you guys. When times are rough, i always look to god. I appreciate all the wonderful things you, and Uncle Jeff have done to make my time out here special. i hope to come out here again next summer for a little longer. i love you all very much:)
    Love, Ashley

92. #92 - Elaine Biss Designs says:

Thank you so much for your beautiful words. No doubt they are very profound.

93. #93 - Carbon says:

So many comments before mine… I've hd a trying few years as well and am not yet through… It's sometimes just nice to know there are other people out there.

And to think I came by your blog by 'accident'. 🙂 thanks

94. #94 - jdavissquared says:

Cathe,

I'm so glad you shared this. It is so hard to hold on to faith in the midst of suffering. I'm so glad that you've been able to do just that.

It's strange, my pastor just started a new sermon series on this very subject.

If you'd like to listen, the podcast from this weekend should be on this page by tomorrow.

God Bless you Miss Cathe, and all your family too.

95. #95 - Sheri Howard says:

Thank you for sharing. Your post and the song touched me deeply in my own time of trial. I am so glad I know God and He knows me. I am thankful for His blessings. Your strength and positive attitude is a comfort and a beacon to push on through the storms.

96. #96 - Clean Mama says:

Profound and beautiful – totally resonates with me right now. Thank you!

97. #97 - Stephanie says:

What a powerful song and story. I've been thinking a lot lately about the very feelings you've expressed in this post. Thank you for opening up your heart to us all. Look up this song: The Blessing by John Waller. It's based on Deuteronomy 3:19 and it says everything that I would want to say to you.

98. #98 - Jenna says:

Thank you so much for this wonderful post. You did indeed leave me with words that were profound. It is amazing what our faith can bring us through when things seem so dark. I truly feel yours through your words.

Thank you also for your many, many wonderful posts about crafting and blogging. It's such a delight to see what you will come up with next.

You are truly an inspiration. Thank you.

99. #99 - Sarah says:

Thank you for your beautiful testimony. I am sure God is pleased with you for giving him the glory.

100. #100 - scrapcraft says:

Thanks you so much for sharing. I am so glad to hear you have a relationship with God even after all of your heartache. I know that it is hard.Your family is is my prayers tonight!

101. #101 - Anonymous says:

Thank you co much publishing such a witness to God's awesomeness! What an encouragement!

102. #102 - sillie smile says:

praise God for YOU, that you will post about our Father who wastes nothing, pain or joy- and that you can post about it and share with your many many readers. Thank you! what an encouragement!

I too have experienced 2 big losses recently- and without God's promises of hope- i would not have made it out of the darkness.

thanks for sharing!

103. #103 - mab says:

THANK YOU for sharing this! The hope and courage that comes from God's peace and presence has brought me through many difficult years as well. And, I agree in the therapeutic, healing, and worshipful purpose in crafting and creating! God is creative and we are made in His image, so this means that our creativity comes from Him. I'd love more postings where you share your heart like this!

104. #104 - Heather says:

Thank you for this Cathe, as you already know I am going through some horrible stuff with my mothers health, she is my best friend and I love her SO much, thanks, reading this may help me cope.

105. #105 - Kirby3131 says:

You have such a huge heart. Thanks so much for sharing your sorrow, heartache, joy, family and craftiness.

Kristin – The Goat

106. #106 - Mitzi Curi says:

Cathe, I didn't know quite how much loss you had suffered until I read this post. You are a remarkable person, and your husband must be as well. Thanks for sharing your painful losses with us here in blogland. You will only find unlimited support and understanding here!

107. #107 - Anonymous says:

Thank You Cathe! Sometimes it feels as if no one could possibly understand how 'loss' feels. You obviously do. I also praise our wonderful God and Father. It is so refreshing to be reminded of how we must rely on Him – He has a wonderful plan, even in our sorrow. I am so glad you have been blessed with this new relationship. I can only imagine how this blessing is affecting your neice.
    Keep Shining!

108. #108 - Krista says:

I've been following your blog for just a bit now and always love coming to see your beautiful creations. I love that you're from NoCal and give me a little glimpse into my past and make me remember where I'm from (NoCal too!) I enjoyed reading the interview and finding out some new things about you (you're married to a firefighter too!) and then with this post, so personal and touching. Thank you for sharing. You're clearly very strong, as well as talented.

109. #109 - Shelia says:

Cathe I don't know how you do it. I sure wish I could reach the point that you are at now. I think of you often after our emails, but fail to get on line much anymore. Thank you for reminding me of His Amazing Grace. That is what we had at Scott's funeral. You continue to be in my prayers.

110. #110 - Wanda H says:

I loved reading this!!! God is amazing and, yes, deserves to be praised even in the storms of life. Thank you for sharing!!!!

111. #111 - kiko says:

It is through tragedy that we come to understand our need for God. Thank you for sharing with us. I love reading your blog and am very glad to see we share our faith in the same God.

112. #112 - jayel says:

You are so inspiring in more ways that one! Thank you for sharing your faith. I love what you do and so appreciate your generosity in sharing your beautiful gifts and thoughts with us!

113. #113 - Lallee says:

Cathe, what a beautiful post! Thank you for sharing with us. It is beautiful to see His fingers in your life and work. What WOULD we do without His grace????? God's very best blessings to you and your family.
    ♥Lallee

114. #114 - marysworkshop says:

Such a wonderful post. Cathe, your strong faith and courage in the face of heartbreaking loss will certainly touch the hearts of many.
    God bless you and your beautiful family!

115. #115 - Niki says:

Oh Cathe -thank you for sharing your heart with all of us. Suffering a loss in an incredible test of one's faith. I know first hand about dark depression and missing my little girl who died of a brain tumor in February of 2009. God places bits and pieces of beauty and blessings beside us each day. It is up to us to see them and recognize them. You are an amazing inspiration and a beautiful woman of God!

116. #116 - Anonymous says:

Well, I thought just your crafty-ness made me swoon. NOW you have given me CHILLS. THANK YOU so much for sharing your story.

117. #117 - Lisa Leonard says:

you have the sweetest, most tender heart. thank you for sharing your journey. grace holds you on every side. love you.

118. #118 - Darlene says:

Thank you for sharing your personal thoughts. I also believe in the healing powers of Art.

119. #119 - Bonnie says:

needed to read this today! We have some family going through something extremly sad right now. I need constant reminder to Praise HIM during storms!

120. #120 - Jann says:

What a lovely post-we all have our own crosses to bear and so many of us have suffered through difficult times; how comforting to read your words of encouragement and reminders that God is always here for us to help us through. So very sorry for your losses . . . those are great weights to bear. Your children and beautiful nieces are so blessed to have you and your hubby right there to love and nurture them!

121. #121 - Theresa says:

Cathe, Thank You sdo much for sharing your loss and the grace that God has shown you. I do beleive that when we all start talking openly about our trials and hardships that we endure in this life that we truly heal and we truly are fulfilling the life that the Lord has called us to do, to bear witness, to comfort and be of comfort. Your words are a comfort to me and I hope I can be a comfort toyou whenever needed. I love the song you chose, I know it well. There's another one that comes to mind for me when I read your testimony, it is called Better Than a Hallelujuh, I'm sure you know it as well. But for those that don't give it a listen. Thanks again, Theresa.

122. #122 - Tiffany says:

It is posts like these that humanize bloggers. Make you 'real' to your readers, huggable even:) With all my lil ol heart, I big hugg to you and yours. All the best wishes to you and your family.

123. #123 - ~~EVERYTHING~~.ANASTACIA~~~ says:

You have been an inspiration to me, and to many. You have been so generous to inspire people and share your artistic talents, and now, to share your life lessons in every struggle you've been through and to remind us to keep our faith is even more inspiring to all.
    Thank you, Cathe. I appreciate and admire you so much more. God bless you.

124. #124 - Anonymous says:

Thank you for sharing. My first visit to your blog, but certainly not my last. Thanks again.

125. #125 - Melody says:

Its so funny that you posted this today. I had been checking out your cool crafty items and didn't realize you were a woman of faith. I know how you feel about tragic loss. Two years ago, my husband and I lost twin boys who were born prematurely. Prior to that I lost my uncle and grandfather. Three months ago, I had a son-Nehemiah David who was born three months early. It has been crazy watching him fight for his life and I saw the powerful hand of God in his healing. Hopefully we will be taking him home next week- another testament of the mercies of God. Today I heard news that a dear friend of mine was given no more time to live by her doctors. Her cancer came back. There is no limit to what God can do… all I can do now is to pray for His will. I definitely needed this encouragement today. Thank you so much. God is amazing.

-Melody

126. #126 - Joyce Joneschiet says:

Thank you so much for sharing your heart with us and your openness about your experiences. It truly touched my heart and from the comments you have touched many others! I also love that song and it has ministered to me many times during hard times. Your sharing has shown me a new depth in your blog and in your work that makes you even more of a "must read!" Thank you again!

127. #127 - Paula Prass says:

Cathe, the only time I have time to read blogs is when I can't sleep. It's 3 am and I'm actually grateful. I have you in my favorites because I think you are incredibly talented, but never knew more than that. I was instantly drawn past the surface designs and experienced the heart of God through you.

126 comments! Not because you were having a giveaway, but because we all want you to know we care and feel such closeness because you let us in.

Next time I come to visit your blog I won't just come to see your beautiful work, but to get to know you better.

128. #128 - Stephanie says:

I have been reading your blog for a little over a year and always get excited when I noticed you have posted!!! I think you are so talented and you can go in so many directions with ideas and they are done to perfection. I'm a picture person but I stopped this morning to read and I was moved by your wisdom. I love that song as well. Thank you for posting your experiences and God's faithfulness.

129. #129 - Bethany says:

I just found your blog today (quite by accident) but I love it! And I just read about your hurt and suffering and how God has brought you through it… And I also LOVE this song. Every single time I hear it, I cry because it really sums it up pretty well.
    Thank you for sharing this with us and I hope you and your family truly enjoy spending time with your new daughter 🙂 And I hope God blesses you for sharing His love with her 🙂

130. #130 - Michelle says:

Beautiful blog entry.

131. #131 - Lisa @thebeadgirl says:

thank you for sharing your story…from the heart. wow.

that song is one of my favs…i CLING to it when i feel like everything is torn out from underneath me. it reminds me He has something bigger planned. He has to know better. because in my finite mind…i often JUST.DON'T.UNDERSTAND.

in His grip,
    lisa @thebeadgirl

132. #132 - Collette says:

I've been re-reading this over the last week or so since you posted it. You said something that I needed to hear just when I needed to hear it. Thank you for your openness and sincerity. I think it took me so long to comment because I wanted to convey to you exactly how much I appreciate it. I still don't think I did that but I hope you understand.

Thank you.

133. #133 - shively4jesus says:

it's with tears i say that was a precious post! just discovered your blog and i love it. God's love flowing through you is amazing! i've cried many times to that song…LOVE IT! God bless you!

134. #134 - The Redhead Riter says:

Since my father was just diagnosed with stage 4 terminal cancer at the young age of 68, I have been struggling so desperately seeking for comfort from God. Thank you for sharing your strength through the struggles of your own life. It is nice to know that the woman I admire for her beautiful talents also has a beautiful heart. ♥

135. #135 - sara says:

Cathe –

Thank you for sharing your struggles in this post. I have had a very difficult past 2 years (prime time in the life of a 30 something mama to 2 kids under 4!) and most of it has been due to family struggles that have really made life hard for my mama. Reading this gave me hope for HER… and I am going to print this out for her to read so that she can see that there IS a Master Plan (she knows this, but that doesn't mean it's always easy to BELIEVE!) and that life can AND WILL get better. You have such a beautiful spirit… and you have surly given me hope that I had tucked away for far too long in the recesses of my heart, mind and soul. Thank you!

lovelove….

136. #136 - Michelle says:

Thanks Cathe – so kind of you to share something so personal and also thanks for sharing such a great song – they do a great job of summing it up don't they?

137. #137 - Marcie says:

I just stumbled upon your blog, and love your projects, but this post is why you are now being added to my bookmarks to check regularly! I teach art, and always tell my students that because we are made in God's image, we are all creators in some form or fashion… we just have to find our medium. I, too, have dealt with tragedy, and it is so hard yet necessary to come to an understanding that, like in 1st Kings, God is not found in the earthquake or the storm, but in the gentle whisper that comes afterward. Thanks for your sweet post.

138. #138 - joan kimball says:

Hi Cathy
    I only discovered your blog recently. You are a talented lady I must say. Thank you for sharing your gift. Today I came upon this post and it touched me deeply. I too have faced tragedy…who hasn’t you know? But to find this gem tucked away inside of all the beauty you create each day…well all I can say is thank you from the bottom of my heart. You are the woman of substance and this post most of all blesses me. How are you doing…it is October as I write, wishing that you were my neighbor and we could do a craft of the week together. xxoo
    JoanE

139. #139 - April says:

I just wanted to thank you Cathe for leaving such a personal message! You said we don’t look at blogs for personal or spiritual encouragement but creative inspiration. I can only speak for myself, but I think we all need this. There is nothing more frustrating then looking a blog after blog and thinking “these women have it all together, they don’t seem to have any of the struggles I do, etc. The last 11 years of my life have been full of pain, stress and heartache including the death of my youngest son a year ago.
    THANK YOU for reminding me that GOD is even with us in the suffering. Thanks for the song link too…just beautiful.
    Thank you for allowing God to use you as a vessel to reach out to your creative friends.
    Have a very Blessed Weekend

140. #140 - Nikki says:

I love this song too. Thanks for sharing your story. I too have suffered the loss of my son, my first child, due to a premature birth brought on by severe pre-eclampsia in 2009. I know some people brush it off (now that I am pregnant again) like everything is ok, while it is, most days, I truly feel your sadness… This post made me cry, and it feels good.

141. Pingback: Scrap Retreat Sponsor Swag Giveaway: DAY 1 | Just Something I Made

142. #141 - Karen Thomason says:

Cathe, I don’t have a website, but I happened upon yours and I love your creations. I can say that I understand your pain in the loss of your child. I lost my husband of 43 years in November 2010. I still have moments when I think it was just a terrible nightmare, but I was there and I have come to realize the truth. God Bless You for taking in the little ones. I love “Praise in this Storm”. My daughter asked me to play it at my husband’s funeral. It is beautiful. Stay in the Lord and you will know his strength and love.

143. #142 - Pamela says:

Cathe..
    I loved your post..it really touches my heart..!

Pamela

144. #143 - Sue says:

Cathe, I am glad to have found your site. When I saw your title of Praise you in this storm, I knew immediately. I know you made it through the tragedies in your life with such grace, because of our amazing Lord, Jesus! I first heard this song when I was going through a very traumatic loss in my life. God has always carried me through all of my storms, but this song brings an overwhelming feeling over me every time I hear it and I listen to it a lot. I even told my husband recently, that I want it played at my memorial service! His storms always bring the good and if we didn’t have those storms, it would be harder to appreciate the greatness and blessings he has bestowed on us. God is Amazing and I thank you for sharing. God bless you and your family!