Small Town, Big Soul: The Antique Gardener

Mr. Wonderful and I decided it was due time for a day trip together. My turn to pick, yesterday I chose a 2 1/2 hr. drive to the old town of Sutter Creek in the heart of California’s Gold Country. We drove through the town a couple of years ago on our 20th wedding anniversary road trip and I couldn’t wait to get back to one of my favorite shops of all time, The Antique Gardener. When we arrived, owner Aimee Peterson was busy bringing foliage from the weekend’s sunshine indoors to fill the shop. A sixth generation Sutter Creek resident, she’s one of the most delightful and inspirational shop-keeps I’ve ever had the pleasure of knowing. The weather was absolutely gorgeous, so Jeff headed to the backyard for a little shut-eye in the cool shade (as brother bunnies ran around in the grass at his feet), while I savored every second of The Antique Gardener and Aimee’s company. Known for her miniature gardens, Aimee offers classes, opens her garden to weddings, showers, parties and other special events. She sells fabulous vintage finds, new vintage-inspired home accessories, jewelry and gifts, and of course, delightful garden merchandise and beautifully arranged container plants. Here is my photo journal of our visit yesterday. Enjoy!The Antique Gardener is currently featured in Heather Bullard’s Spring 2012 SOUVENIR Lifestyle Magazine. You can purchase your copy in digital or print form here. I just did!

This entry was posted in Antiques, Gardening and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Small Town, Big Soul: The Antique Gardener

1. #1 - wendy baker says:

again, you find a fresh place i am putting on my “to go to” list. fantastic. glad you and mr. wonderful got to have a sweet date day too. xoxo.w.

2. #2 - Nana Diana says:

What a great place to visit. Awesome stuff! I did a post a couple of days ago about my old stove that I rehabbed for a planter on my patio. It is very similar to the one in your first photo. LOVE it! xo Diana

3. #3 - marysworkshop says:

Thanks for sharing these photos from your day trip to her lovely shop!

4. #4 - Ann says:

Oh Cathe I wish I could have visited with you! Looks like complete heaven to me. A perfect day out – with afternoon tea to finish off I hope!

5. #5 - Tracy says:

Being a Northeast girl, my experience with antiques (which is extremely limited) has usually been Victorian, bone china, linens – etc. Several years ago I was in Jackson Hole Wyoming at an antiques fest – and was so intrigued by the difference in some of the offerings. There was a lot of what I guess I would call “prairie vintage” (again – I’m not an antique person here – so I’m just making up this term) – Sutter Creek looks a lot like that. It’s just lovely!

6. #6 - Karen on Bainbridge Island, WA says:

I haven’t been to Sutter Creek in about as many years as you haven’t…and now I have a reason to want to visit there again. Perhaps on my next visit to California. Looks like a great day.

7. #7 - Aimee - The Antique Gardener says:

Thanks again for stopping by! I love your pictures – you put things I look at every day in a bright new perspective. Hope to see again soon! P.S. I checked out your friends bitty bags and love them – I’m sure I’ll be ordering them soon!

8. #8 - Pam says:

I love the Antique Gardner. I wish there was more up there to see, it’s a long drive. Love Country Living as well, it’s a little farther down the road in Amador City.

9. #9 - Tina W. says:

What a quaint little town! I’ll have to make a trip there sometime. Glad you had a fun little trip and a little time away! :o)

10. #10 - Tracy says:

Hi
    Looks like you had a lovely time. I live in the UK, in the North and we don’t have many shops like this but they are the type of shops I dream about visiting, right up my street.

The sweet pea books looks fab, really like the images.

Tracy x

11. #11 - Holly Myers says:

Cathe,
    Simply wonderful and so excited to follow you! I felt somewhat connected when I read about you. I have lots of friends that are in Summer Cottage in Petaluma and we also have 3 children. All currently living in Santa Rosa. I also have a lust for Flea Markets, in fact my business partner and I are now hosting 2 Vintage Country Flea Markets a year. Many of our guests say that it reminds them of a mini Country Living Market. Though I have never attended one, Country Living is my ALL TIME FAVORITE magazine, so that makes me very happy! Hubby and I took that same trip two weeks ago, but from the North. I had never been to Sutter Creek and we have been trying to visit small towns to see what makes them “Tick!”. We have a small Antique & Gift Shop and are preparing to open a 10 dealer Design Collective in Sept… with hopes of a resturant too. We also visited the Antique Gardener, I fell in love with that bunny and what a darling shop, Aimee is a doll. We loved the quiet harmony of Sutter Creek and the young people working in and around the town were very pleasant and friendly! Thanks for this post! I can’t wait to check out Just Something I Made!

12. #12 - Shawn Weston says:

Wow, that potting bench… My garden keeps growing every year, and so I’ve grown a deep appreciation (not quite a fetish, but definitely a liking) for terra cotta pots, all in stacks, with their hairline cracks and individual patinas to boot. And that stove!

This post was a happy place for me today.

13. #13 - Laura Duner says:

My favorite store!, We stay in Pioneer every summer for 10 days and I always bring home garden stuff. Hope you went to Amador City too. Soo much fun.

14. #14 - Sweet Bee Cottage says:

My husband and I love Sutter Creek. We always stay at the Foxes B & B. So many sweet little shops in town and we love the wineries too. Must get my hands on that sweet little magazine that Heather put out.

15. Pingback: SOUVENIR: Lifestyle Magazine Summer Issue Giveaway | Just Something I Made