Workshop Supplies: Art Is…YOU!

I’ve busy this week organizing most of the supplies for my upcoming Art is…You full-day workshop here in Petaluma in September. We will be crafting collage component cabinets (CCC’s) from 6-drawer units I discovered at the Craft & Hobby Association Show last January. They reminded me of many of the vintage multi-drawer parts cabinets I own and adore and thought they would be just right to spruce up and fill up with wonderful items for use in collage projects.

Here’s a little bit of the action behind the scenes of the class kits in progress. (As of this writing, there are still a few spots left in my workshop. So if you’ve been on the fence about going or which classes to take, I hope these shots tempt you just a bit!)

Each CCC student will receive a booty-load of ephemera tucked into a vintage expense record ledger. Bingo cards, tickets, book pages, music sheets, cigar box tape, seal stickers, and more.

They also receive smaller goodies as a starters for filling the cabinet drawers. Student loot includes all you see here! Vintage ticket, cards, hooks, ribbon. Even brass hardware to attach to the drawers. See those sweet little bags on the left, those are Little Bitty Bags sponsored by Whisker Graphics. They have so many designs and colors, but for these kits, I thought the kraft, grid and notebook bags would be a sweet fit.

The little spools tucked into the vintage tobacco bags are for winding Divine Twine around, thanks also to Whisker Graphics for sending their Sweet Dozen– 12 fab color combos! Thank you Whisker Graphics!Everyone also receives a vintage spice bottle box full of even more bits and bobbles.

Most components come from vintage stash I’ve been collecting for workshops, like these watchmaker parts vials. But some cool collage components are sponsored by Ornamentea.com. They include an aluminum container of little charms and a bag of postage stamps, teeny tarot cards and a leafy branch charm. They included sample packs of Decopatch paper for everyone and Decopatch brush to use with the Decopatch varnish! There are a few extra goodies for the class to use including a large alphabet stamp set and Terrifically Tacky Tape. Thank you Ornamentea.com!

I wanted to include some textiles to tuck into our cabinets and finally found the perfect fabric for collage! Charlotte Lyon’s Walnut Hill Farm collection sponsored by Blend Fabrics. Her darling designs include images of beautiful music room alphabets, embroidery-stitched designs, button box trinkets, dandelion pattern, lace, and vintage rummy cards. Of course the fabrics in this Walnut Hill line of fabrics are excellent (and sooo soft) for sewing most any creation, but I’m thrilled to include sample packs of the collection in the workshop for tucking into our cabinets until collage inspiration strikes. Thank you Charlotte and Blend Fabrics!!One more thing…every workshop student is receiving their very own cop of Scraps, An Inspirational Field Guide to Collage, by Elsebeth Gynther & Christine Clemmensen. I reviewed this book previously and it’s now one of my most favorite collage resource books.I’m not quite ready to seal everything up for good… would you believe there’s still more goodies to come? Hope to see you here in P-town in September!

This entry was posted in classes, collage and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Workshop Supplies: Art Is…YOU!

1. #1 - Boot~C says:

these fabulous parts make me want to knock down the fence! wish I wasn’t too far away to attend, I’m going to use your photos as inspiration to pull my own scraps together!

2. #2 - Melodee says:

I can hardly wait!!

3. #3 - Larissa says:

Quantas coisas lindas! Quero participar desse curso também! 🙂

4. #4 - Nicky Ovitt says:

Mmmmm! gimme gimme gimme!

5. #5 - Cassie says:

It is not nice to tease with the promise of open spots when *some* of us are all the way across the country on the East Coast and can’t come!!! 🙁

But wow! I would LOVE to be a part of that class! what an awesome bag of goodies!!!!!

6. #6 - Ann says:

Oh I want to come! Now if I could just win the lottery and fly across the Altantic and then somehow get to Petaluma……. I can dream can’t I??

7. #7 - Jaclyn B. says:

How fun! If I lived a little bit closer to you I would SO be there! A 2 hour car ride is a little too far to go with a baby though. 🙁

8. #8 - nicole says:

ok, i’m sold! i just signed up for your class. i’m about an hour and a half south and i just couldn’t resist. the class looks super fun!! 🙂 thanks for the enticing photos. 🙂

9. #9 - Tracy says:

It looks as though it will be great fun!

10. #10 - Amy Baldwin says:

These vintage goodies are spectacular! I wish I could be there to take the classes, I am sure they will be amazing!

Any way to purchase one of these kits?

• #11 - Cathe Holden says:

Hi Amy,

Unfortunately, I only have enough kits for attendees and will only sell kits on site if the class is not full. Because most all components are vintage, my supplies are limited. Thanks so much for asking.

-Cathe

11. #12 - Dolly says:

Oh my gosh…that baggie would be a dream come true of mine! SO many yummy bits and bobs! Wish I COULD be there!

12. #13 - Lori E says:

Oh my this looks like a fun workshop. Great things to work with. I hope to see some of the results too. People are so creative.

13. #14 - Noreen says:

Those certainly look like fun bags! Lucky students!

14. #15 - julia p says:

Oh visions of sugarplums dance in my head! If it weren’t such a long drive from KY! These little bags filled with all that yummy creative goodness just makes my heart go pitter patter! I know your class will be a HUGH success, wish I could be there! I hope you share final projects on your blog afterwards!

15. #16 - Anne says:

I wish I lived on the other side of the country so I could attend. What a great swag bag! I know the class will be fantastic.
    🙂

16. #17 - Tracy Wright says:

All I can say is WOW! I am getting more excited every day for this amazing weekend that we are going to have.

17. #18 - Petra says:

Hi Cathe!
    I LOVE your blog…such an inspiration!
    I’ve been a follower for quite awhile and am hoping you’ll share this bit
    of insider info: what is your source for the brass drawer pulls/label holders that you have in the goodie bags?
    Thank you!

18. Pingback: Collage Component Cabinet | Just Something I Made

19. #19 - Christine N says:

How, I wish I could come to your workshop but a trip to CA just isn’t in the cards for me! If you have any extra kits, I would love to buy one from you though!!! Looks like a great kit!

20. #20 - Cyndi Omlid says:

This looks like a project that would just fit the bill for all my collage supplies. I have been looking at some of the metal cabinets out there but the price is prohibitive. Will the class materials be available for sale? I would really like to get one.

Thanks for your time and consideration.

Cyndi

21. #21 - Ms. Behaving says:

I’m flying in to attend your class- this looks like such a blast!
    I’m worried a bit about how to get my box back. I’ll bring a bag that I hope is large enough and carry it on. Do you think it will work? or??
    Thanks for all your planning-
    marla

22. #22 - Kathy W says:

Oooooh. Wish I was in California. Looks like all your students will be having a wonderful time!

23. #23 - Yuna says:

Hello!
    I absolutely love this concept of putting crafts inside of a bag for people to take! The vintage stuff looks awesome!
    I really like those paper bags with the square see through in the front, i have been looking for a bag like that for days!
    Could you tell me where you got those bags?

Much thanks,

Yuna

24. #24 - Judy House says:

Do you know where to buy the plan cardboard 6 drawer cabinet show above. I am really looking for a 4 drawer but could work with a 6 drawer.

25. #25 - Judy House says:

Do you know where I can purchase the 6 drawer cardboard cabinet that is show above.